|Secondary Muscle(s)||Glutes, Lower Back, Middle Back, Abdominals|
- Come towards the bar with a wider foot stance with the bar crossing over the mid-foot. Toes pointed slightly out.
- Begin by bending/hinging at the hips to grab the bar with your arms inside of your legs with your preferred grip.
- Bring your hips down with your chest up, back flat, and core braced. Upper back is tight as well.
- Imagine 'spreading the floor' with your feet and activate your glutes to pull the bar up.
- As soon as the bar passes your knees, drive your hips forward towards the bar to finish the pull.
- You should feel a strong contraction in your glutes at the top.
- After you’ve locked out the lift, bend/hinge at the hips to lower the weight.
- Keep the bar as close to your body at all times.
- Your shins may get knicked.
- Your glutes and hamstrings are handling the load, not your low back.
- Your spine remains neutral throughout the movement, no arch or rounding of the back.
- Maintain a neutral neck position throughout.