|Secondary Muscle(s)||Glutes, Quads, Shoulders, Abdominals|
Dumbbell Clean Instructions
- Feet positioned at shoulder-width.
- Knees are slightly bent with toes pointed straight ahead.
- The core is braced and engaged, glutes are activated.
- Chest is up with your shoulders back.
- You have a neutral spine.
- Eyes are looking straight ahead with a neutral neck.
- Hold a DB in each hand, with a neutral hand position, at your sides.
- Brace your core and subtly hinge at the hips lowering the DB's down your quads.
- Once the DB's reach mid thigh, explode up by extending your ankles, knees, and hips while shrugging your shoulders to elevate the weight.
- This is an athletic, rhythmic movement.
- Your arms are passive. You are not pulling with your arms to bring the weight up.
- The triple extension of the ankles, knees, and hips raises the DB's vertically.
- Once the DB's reach shoulder height, "drop" underneath and catch the weight by bring your elbows up and through.
- After catching the weight, stand up.
- Always keep the weight as close to your body as possible.
- Keeping your core braced does not mean arching your back severely. To fully understand tightening your mid-section, click here.
- This exercise can be performed with a kettlebell.
- You want to perform this exercise fast with lighter weights, don't always be quick to grab the heaviest DB's you can.