Smith Machine Stiff Leg Deadlift
Smith Machine Stiff Leg Deadlift Instructions
- Load the desired amount of weight you wish to work with onto the smith machine. Bring the bar down to the lowest setting.
- Situate your feet to be shoulder width apart and stand in front of the bar.
- Grasping the bar with an overhand grip, arms should be at shoulder width apart as well.
- Bend down at the knees while maintaining a straight back.
- Begin the movement by standing straight up with the bar and resting it against your thighs.
- Retract your shoulder blades, puff your chest out, and give a slight arch to your back.
- Begin bowing at the hips slowly to lower the barbell straight down as you keep your eyes looking ahead. You want to keep the bar close to your body and feel a nice stretch in the hamstrings.
- Once the bar reaches a point where the hamstrings are stretched as far as comfortably possible, use the hamstrings to pull yourself and the bar straight back up to starting position.
- Continue to keep your head up and shoulders fixed back to avoid rounding of the back.
- Repeat for the desired amount of reps.
Smith Machine Stiff Leg Deadlift Tips
- Get a good contraction out of the hamstrings and glutes as you pull the weight up.
- Refrain from looking down as this will cause your back to round.
- At the bottom of the lift, make sure you are keeping all areas tight and not relaxing as you go to pull the weight back up.
- Confirm that your hips are moving back as you bend at the waist