Clean & Press
|Primary Muscle(s)||Shoulders, Glutes|
|Secondary Muscle(s)||Abdominals, Middle Back, Hamstrings, Quads, Shoulders, Traps, Triceps|
Clean & Press Instructions
- Position your mid-foot underneath the bar in an athletic stance about shoulder-width apart. Your knees are slightly bent and toes pointed straight ahead.
- The core is braced and engaged.
- With a neutral spine, flex at the knees and hips to assume a strong pull position.
- Grab the bar with an overhand grip, keep your upper back tight and shoulders pinned back.
- Neck is in a neutral position and the bar is close to your shins
- Pull by your driving your heels through the floor, keeping your core tight, and using your upper back to keep the bar close to your body.
- Once the bar passes your knees, explode and extend your hips, knees, and ankles & shrug your shoulders to elevate the bar.
- Catch the bar at the top in a front rack position.
- You want to maintain a slight knee and hip bend with your core braced. Your back should not be excessively arched.
- To begin, slightly dip your knees and hips then explode upwards extending your hips, knees, and ankles to push the bar to a stabilized position overhead.
- For the downward part of the exercise, lower the bar to the shoulders in a controlled manner.
- This exercise takes a good bit of practice, start with lighter weight and perform many sets strictly to build technique.
- The arms do not pull the weight up. Firing your hips raises the bar vertically.
- Keep your core tight for the duration of the exercise.
- Don't let the bar stray from your mid-line. You want to keep the bar as close to your body as possible.