Glute Ham Raise
|Secondary Muscle(s)||Glutes, Lower Back, Abdominals|
Glute Ham Raise Instruction
- Adjust the glute-ham machine to suit your height. Position your feet on the foot plate between rollers and lay forward.
- Confirm that your knees are right behind the padding.
- Start from the top position with your core braced.
- Initiate the exercise by slowly lowering your torso forward, you will feel a stretch in the hamstrings while you simultaneously brace your core.
- When your torso is parallel to the floor, contract your hamstring and glutes to raise yourself back to the starting position.
- Don't use excessive momentum to raise yourself up.
- Avoid letting your low back arch excessively.
- Return to the bottom/beginning of the movement in a slow, controlled manner.
- Adjusting the machine so it fits your body is paramount to the execution of the exercise.
- This exercise is extremely difficult. You may have to progress by doing slow eccentrics then restarting at the top.
- At the bottom, don't shoot your hips back to return to the top.