Close Grip Push Ups
Close Grip Push-up Instructions
- Kneel down on the floor and set your hands slightly inside shoulder-width.
- Hands are turned in slightly.
- Place your feet and legs together behind you. Maintain a braced core with a neutral spine.
- There should be a straight lines from your ankles, knees, hips, torso, and shoulders.
- Abdominals & Obliques are contracted.
- Glutes are activated.
- Shoulders are pinned back.
- Eyes are focused on the floor, neck in a neutral position.
- At no point are you hips sagging/lowered during the exercise.
- Keep your bodyweight centered roughly over your hands with your shoulders braced.
- Maintaining this stable shoulder position is key for properly loading your triceps and chest.
- As your body descends, load your chest and triceps keeping your trunk braced and back neutral.
- When you reach the bottom, push yourself back up to starting position without locking the elbows.
- For beginners, you can try this exercise by resting on your knees instead of fully extending the legs.
- Your elbows should not flare excessively. However, there will be slightly more elbow flare with a close grip versus a traditional push up.