Wide Grip Bench Press
Wide Grip Bench Press Instructions
- Firmly plant your heels into the ground with your shins roughly perpendicular to the floor.
- Focus on pinching your shoulder blades (scapulas) together as you lie back on the bench.
- This creates a stable shoulder position to press from.
- Grip the barbell wider than shoulder width and try to contract your lats. Your back is more involved in a wider-grip bench variation.
- Try to ‘break the bar’ in half as you grip it, this will create lat and upper back tightness
- Lower the barbell at a slight angle away from you with the bar touching at or just below your nipple line.
- Still continue to ‘break the bar’ apart as you press up, this will keep your form locked in.
- Since the bar descent was slightly away from you, remember to press on the same path upward.
- Do not let your butt come off of the bench or excessively arch your back.
- If new to this exercise or dealing with heavier weight even, have someone spot you.
- Do not bounce weight off chest; Be in control for the duration of the lift.
- The range-of-motion is shorter because of the grip. This variation is mainly used by powerlifters for lower repetitions.
- Don't grip too wide, you want to be able to activate your lats during the movement.