Reverse Grip Bench Press
Reverse Grip Bench Press Instructions
- Firmly plant your heels into the ground with your shins roughly perpendicular to the floor.
- Your hands will be supinated (underhand) and placed at shoulder-width on the bar.
- Hand placement on the bar is similar to a regular close-grip bench.
- Imagine you are trying to 'break the bar' as you grip it.
- This will create proper upper back tightness.
- Focus on pinching your shoulder blades (scapulas) together as you lie back on the bench.
- This creates a stable shoulder position to press from.
- Lower the barbell at a slight angle away from you with the bar touching at or just below your nipple line.
- Feel your triceps loading on the descent.
- Still continue to ‘break the bar’ apart as you press up, this will keep your form locked in.
- Since the bar descent was slightly away from you, remember to press on the same path upward.
- Do not let your butt come off of the bench or excessively arch your back.
- Do not bounce weight off chest or lock elbows at the top of the movement.
- No need to overload this exercise or do excessively heavier weight.
- Aim for volume with this movement.
- Heels of the palms should be underneath the bar.
- Be in control of the weight for the entire duration of the lift.