Hammer Curls Instructions
- Feet positioned in an athletic stance slightly outside shoulder-width. Your knees are slightly bent and toes pointed straight ahead.
- The core is braced and engaged. Shoulders are pinned back with your chest up.
- Have a dumbbell in each hand, resting at your sides, palms facing your body.
- Maintain the neutral hand position, curl the dumbbells up to roughly above chest level. Your forearms are strongly activated in this curl variation.
- Thumbs are always pointed to you during the movement.
- Squeeze your bicep at the top and lower the dumbbells down to the starting position.
- The eccentric portion is just as important as the concentric with arm development.
- Refrain from “swinging” the weight or leaning backwards.
- Don't let your elbow come too far forward.
- The muscle used first will be used the most. Initiate the movement with your bicep and forearm, not your lower half or shoulder.