Alternate Dumbbell Flys
Alternate Dumbbell Flys Instructions
- Grab a pair of dumbbells and sit on a flat bench with the weight resting on your thighs, palms facing each other.
- Lay back on the bench and extend your arms (palms still facing each other), holding the dumbbells above you. Use your thighs to “bump” the weight up if necessary.
- Bend your arms a little to set yourself up for the starting position.
- Lower one of your arms in a slow, semicircular manner until it gets to nearly chest level. Keep the other arm in the same position above you.
- Contract the chest muscles to return to the starting position with the same controlled movement.
- Repeat the movement with the other arm.
- The arms should remain slightly bent throughout the movement. The arms are a lever between the chest and the dumbbell.
- Going too heavy on weight can ruin the stretch and defeat the purpose of the exercise.
- The focus of this exercise should be on the stretching and contraction of the chest muscles and should be done at a slow pace.