Dumbbell Shrugs Instructions
- Position your feet in an athletic stance slightly outside shoulder-width. Your knees are slightly bent and toes pointed straight ahead.
- The core is braced and engaged. Shoulders are pinned back and eyes fixed straight ahead.
- Grab a set of dumbbells, one in each hand resting at your sides, hands in a neutral position.
- Lift (shrug) your shoulders straight up, think about bringing your traps to your ears. Quickly pause to hold the contraction.
- DB's remain at your sides, don't let them drift in front of you. Maintain that initial, neutral hand position.
- Release the hold and lower the DB's to the starting position.
- Focus on the isolation of the traps.
- Refrain from using your arms to pull the DB's up. The arms are merely a lever for your traps.
- Don't use momentum or excess movement to elevate the DB's.