Barbell Shrugs Instruction
- Approach the barbell and position your feet in an athletic at shoulder-width.
- Your knees are slightly bent and toes pointed straight ahead.
- The core is braced and engaged. Shoulders are pinned back and eyes fixed straight ahead.
- Back is flat with a neutral spine.
- Grip the barbell just outside shoulder-width.
- With passive arms, lift (shrug) your shoulders straight up, think about bringing your traps to your ears.
- Pause to hold the contraction.
- Release the hold and lower the bar to the starting position.
- Don't lose your strong posture as you lower the bar.
- Focus on the isolation of the traps.
- Refrain from using your arms to pull the bar up. The arms are merely a lever for your traps.
- Don't use momentum or excess movement to elevate the bar. This is not a clean.