Skull Crushers (Lying Tricep Extensions)
Skull Crushers Instructions
You can use a barbell, dumbbell, or kettlebell. For this instruction, we will focus on a barbell.
- Grip the barbell with your hands roughly 3-5 inches apart.
- Lie down on a flat bench.
- Extend your arms above and align the bar roughly even with your eyes.
- Create the mind-muscle connection of creating and maintaining tension in the tricep throughout the exercise.
- Let the barbell descend slightly behind your head.
- Let your elbows track back slightly as well.
- The bottom position has the barbell roughly even with your head.
- At the bottom position, extend the barbell back to the starting position.
- Let the elbows come forward slightly before extending your forearms upward.
- Do not lower the barbell to your face, this puts excess pressure on the elbow and does not maximize the tension in the tricep musculature.
- Do not use heavier weight with this exercise. Aim for volume and maintaining tension on the tricep musculature from start to finish.