Cable Side Bends
Cable Side Bend Instructions
- Attach a free handle to the cable machine and set the apparatus to the lowest rung.
- Stand parallel to the cable attachment and grab the handle with your right hand.
- Stand to where the cable creates a 45-degree angle from your arm to your torso.
- There is tension in the cable and the weight is off the stack.
- Keep your hips and shoulders square with your eyes fixated straight ahead.
- Maintain a neutral spine and proper posture with your shoulders back.
- Knees slightly bent.
- Your non-working hand is behind your head.
- Let the handle track towards the cable attachment (your right obliques should be shortened or "crunched" and your left side lengthened).
- Contract your left obliques and bring your left shoulder closer to your left hip ( a crunch/side bend).
- Return to the starting position.
- This is a controlled movement with a limited range-of-motion. Resist the urge to speed through it.
- Everything is initiated and controlled by the obliques, not momentum.