Decline Push-up Instructions
- Have access to a flat bench or elevated stand.
- Position your feet on the edge of the platform with toes pointed down and walk your hands out until your body is in a braced, neutral position.
Tighten your core: glutes contracted, legs straight and keep your bodyweight centered roughly over your hands with your shoulders braced.
- Maintaining this stable shoulder position is key for properly loading your triceps and chest.
- Lower yourself down at a slow, controlled speed, loading your chest and triceps, until your chest is almost touching the floor.
- Press up while maintaining your strong core position.
- The higher the platform, the more challenging the exercise becomes on the chest.
- Your back should not be excessively arched nor should your hips and knees sag.
- Your elbows should not flare excessively.
- Think about maintaining a vertical forearm position.
- At the bottom position, if your hands are outside your elbows, you need to adjust your starting hand position.