Decline Barbell Bench Press
Decline Barbell Bench Press Instructions
- Position your legs securely in the padding of the decline bench and lay back slowly.
- Focus on pinching your shoulder blades (scapulas) together as you lie back on the bench.
- This creates a stable shoulder position to press from.
- Grip the barbell slightly wider than shoulder width. Try to ‘break the bar’ in half as you grip it, this will create lat and upper back tightness.
- Lower weight slowly towards your chest as far as you can without touching your body.
- Raise the barbell back to starting position in a controlled manner without locking elbows.
- Still continue to ‘break the bar’ apart as you press up, this will keep your form locked in.
- Be in control of the weight for the entire duration of the lift.
- If this is your first time doing a decline press, use the bar for your first set to gauge bar-path.