- Lie back on the floor with your legs extended
- Arms are passively at your sides.
- Take a breath out then "curl" your abdominals up.
- Imagine curling the bottom of your sternum towards your hips.
- Your abs should feel as if they are being sucked inward.
- Arms can elevate as if your hands are holding a small plate or dumbbell.
- At the top, your upper back is off the floor
- Uncurl from the top back to the starting position slowly.
- Breathe out at the top and as you descend, again, feel your abs being sucked inward.
- Keep your legs passive throughout the movement. Using your lower half with activate your hip flexors which will negate your abdominal musculature.
- At first, your legs will want to elevate or "spray" out. Through practice and greater core stability, you will be able to execute the crunch without much hip flexor involvement.
- You are "curling" your body using your abdominals to complete the exercise.