Smith Machine Upright Row
Smith Machine Upright Row Instructions
- Assume a strong lifting position:
- Core and glutes activated with a neutral spine
- Chest up and shoulders back
- Knees slightly bent and eyes fixed ahead
- With an overhand (pronated) grip, grab the barbell just inside shoulder-width with arms lengthened and elbows slightly flexed.
- Raise the bar by focusing on activating your delts.
- Your arms are a lever for your delts. Don't use momentum or other musculature to complete the exercise.
- Raise the bar to just below your collarbone. Don't shrug your shoulders, keep your strong posture.
- Lower the weight back down to starting stance.
- Don't swing or use momentum to raise the barbell.
- Ignore the notion of bringing the barbell past your collarbone.
- Focus on keeping the tension on your delts throughout the range-of-motion.
- The Smith Machine will greatly aid in this.