Smith Machine Reverse Calf Raise
Smith Machine Reverse Calf Raise Instructions
- Place one or two plates in front of the machine.
- Be in a strong athletic position: knees flexed, core and glutes activated, chest up, and shoulders back.
- Get underneath the bar, placing it on your traps.
- Stand on the front end of the plate. Your heels are rooted in the plate with the balls of your feet off the front end.
- Feet are pointed straight ahead.
- With your knees slightly bent, make sure the front of your feet are off the plates.
- In a controlled manner, flex/extend at the ankle through a full range-of-motion.
- Keep your strong, starting position throughout the movement. Don't let your core or shoulder position collapse.
- Maintain a slight knee flex from start to finish.
- Conscientiously control the exercise by lengthening and shortening your calf musculature.
- Don't just flip your toes up and down.
- Don't bounce the weight up. Really emphasize controlling the exercise with your calves.
- Establish a strong mind-muscle connection and be deliberate with each repetition.
- Experiment with different rep schemes and various time-under-tension protocols.
- Don't actively point your feet internally or externally. This will have no real effect on the execution of the exercise.