Strength Training Cycle - 16 Week Building & Peaking Workout Program
This strength training cycle is comprised of 2 phases:
- 8 Week Powerbuilding Stage - You will be trying to build strength and muscle while using more conventional rep ranges.
- 8 Week Peaking Cycle - You will be trying to springboard off of the powerbuilding stage - adding more weight to the bench press, squat, and deadlift - while peaking towards a new one lift max attempt or a powerlifting meet.
8 Week Powerbuilding StageYour training schedule over the next 8 weeks will be:
- Day 1 - Chest and Triceps
- Day 2 - Back and Biceps
- Day 3 - Off
- Day 4 - Shoulders and Traps
- Day 5 - Legs
- Day 6 - Off
- Day 7 - Off
|Chest and Triceps|
|Paused Bench Press||4||8|
|Alternating Dumbbell Bench Press||4||10|
|Low Cable Crossovers||4||12-15|
|Close Grip Bench Press||4||10|
|EZ Bar Cable Triceps Extensions||4||12|
|Back and Biceps|
|Seated Cable Rows||4||12|
|Lat Pull Downs or Pull Ups||4||12|
|Seated Alternating Dumbbell Curls||4||10|
|Reverse Lat Pull Downs||4||12|
|Shoulders and Traps|
|Seated Overhead Press||4||8|
|Dumbbell Romanian Deadlifts||4||8|
8 Week Strength Training Peaking CycleYour training schedule over the next 8 weeks will be:
- Day 1 - Bench Day
- Day 2 - Off
- Day 3 - Squat/Deadlift Day
- Day 4 - Off
- Day 5 - Upper Body Assistance Day
- Day 6 - Off
- Day 7 - Off
- Week 1 - Heavy Deadlift Day
- Week 2 - Heavy Squat Day
- Week 3 - Heavy Deadlift Day
- Week 4 - Heavy Squat Day
- Week 5 - Heavy Deadlift Day
- Week 6 - Heavy Squat Day
- Week 7 - Heavy Deadlift Day
- Week 8 - Heavy Squat Day
- Set 1 - 75% of max for 5 reps
- Set 2 - 67.5% of max for 8 reps
- Set 3 - 60% of max for 12 reps
Heavy Squat Weeks
- Week 1 - 85% of old max for 3 reps. 75% for 5 reps.
- Week 3 - 90% of old max for 2 reps. 80% for 4 reps.
- Week 5 - 95% of old max for 1 rep. 85% for 3 reps.
- Week 7 - 100% of old max for 1 rep. 90% for 2 reps.
Heavy Deadlift Weeks
- Week 1 - 85% of old max for 3 singles. 75% for 5 singles.
- Week 3 - 90% of old max for 2 singles. 80% for 4 singles.
- Week 5 - 95% of old max for 1 rep. 85% for 3 singles.
- Week 7 - 100% of old max for 1 rep. 90% for 2 singles.
Bench Press Peaking Cycle
- Week 1 - 82.5% of old max for max rep. 75% x max reps. 67.5% x max reps.
- Week 2 - 85% of old max for max rep. 77.5% x max reps. 70% x max reps.
- Week 3 - 87.5% of old max for max rep. 80% x max reps. 72.5% x max reps.
- Week 4 - 90% of old max for max rep. 82.5% x max reps. 75% x max reps.
- Week 5 - 92.5% of old max for 1 rep. 85% x max reps. 77.5% x max reps.
- Week 6 - 95% of old max for 1 rep. 87.5% x max reps. 80% x max reps.
- Week 7 - 97.5% of old max for 1 rep. 90% x max reps. 82.5% x max reps.
- Week 8 - 100% of old max for 1 rep. 92.5% x 2 reps. 85% x max reps.
|Heavy Deadlift Day|
|Heavy Deadlifts||* See above|
|Squats||3||5, 8, 12|
|Dumbbell Romanian Deadlifts (Use straps)||2||10|
|Unilateral Leg Press||4||10|
|Planks||3||60 to 120 sec|
|Heavy Squat Day|
|Heavy Squats||* See above|
|Deadlifts - 70%||3||5|
|Superset: Leg Extensions + High Box Step-Up||3||10|
|Reverse Hack Squats||4||10|
|Ab Wheel Rollouts||3||10-15|
|Bench Day Day|
|Bench Press||* See above|
|Close Grip Bench Press||3||10|
|Alternating Dumbbell Bench Press||3||10|
|One Arm Dumbbell Rows||2||15|
|Seated Dumbbell Overhead Press||2||10|
|Reverse Grip Lat Pull Down||3||12|
|Upper Body Assistance Day|
|Seated Overhead Press||3||10|
|Seated Cable Rows||3||10|
|Lat Pull Downs||3||10|
|Bent Over Reverse Flyes||3||10|
|Rope Cable Triceps Extensions||4||10|
Leave a comment