|Secondary Muscle(s)||Glutes, Lower Back, Middle Back, Abdominals, Quads|
Sumo Deadlift Instruction
- Be in a strong athletic position: knees flexed, core and glutes activated, chest up, and shoulders back.
- Come towards the bar with a wider foot stance with the bar crossing over the mid-foot. Toes pointed slightly out.
- Begin by bending/hinging at the hips to grab the bar with your arms inside of your legs with your preferred grip.
- Re-tighten and engage your body for the lift. You are trying to take all the "slack" out of your body. Imagine pulling your hips into proper position.
- Raise your hips slightly then lower
- Activate your upper back & lats by trying to break the barbell with your hands.
- Screw your feet into the floor.
- Take a deep breath to brace your core.
- Imagine 'spreading the floor' with your feet and activate your glutes to pull the bar up.
- As soon as the bar passes your knees, drive your hips forward towards the bar to finish the pull.
- You should feel a strong contraction in your glutes at the top.
- Maintain your core tightness throughout the movement.
- After you’ve locked out the lift, bend/hinge at the hips to lower the weight.
- Keep the bar as close to your body at all times.
- Your shins may get knicked.
- Your glutes and hamstrings are handling the load, not your low back.
- Your spine remains neutral throughout the movement, no arch or rounding of the back.
- Maintain a neutral neck position throughout.