Guillotine Press Instructions
- Set up for the Guillotine Press the same way you would for a regular barbell bench press.
- Focus on pinching your shoulder blades (scapulas) together as you lie back on the bench.
- This creates a stable shoulder position to press from.
- Using an overhand grip slightly wider than shoulder width.
- Try to ‘break the bar’ in half as you grip it, this will create lat and upper back tightness.
- Lower it as close as possible towards your neck.
- After a quick pause, press the bar back up.
- Still continue to ‘break the bar’ apart as you press up, this will keep your form locked in.
- Do not let your butt come off of the bench or excessively arch your back.
- NEVER OVERLOAD this exercise. There is no reason to attempt a max effort lift on this movement.
- Use a spotter/lighter weight, as this lift can be challenging and potentially dangerous.
- Make sure the lowering movement is slow and the weight is controlled at all times.