|Secondary Muscle(s)||Glutes, Quads, Abdominals|
Dumbbell Swing Instruction
- Set the DB on the ground in between your feet.
- The DB is resting on its head.
- Maintain a slight knee bend with your core braced and shoulders pinned back.
- Neutral spine with your ribs stacked on-top of your pelvis.
- Brace your core and hinge at the hips to grip the DB head with both hands and lift a foot off the floor.
- You are holding the head of the DB, not the handle.
- Swing the DB back subtly between your legs.
- Reverse the motion rapidly, by extending the hips and contracting the glutes.
- The momentum of the DB should carry it in front of you to shoulder height.
- Your arms are passive, they are not controlling the movement.
- Allow the DB to travel back between your legs by hinging your hips on the descent.
- This movement is athletic and rhythmic in nature so you should not feel stiff. However, maintain a braced core and neutral spine.
- Use your glutes to initiate the movement, not your arms. The arms are levers between your body and the DB.