Dumbbell Curls Instruction
- Feet positioned in an athletic stance slightly outside shoulder-width.
- Your knees are slightly bent and toes pointed straight ahead.
- The core is braced and engaged. Shoulders are pinned back with your chest up.
- With a dumbbell in each hand, stand up straight with your elbows close to your sides.
- Maintaining fixed upper arms, begin to curl the weights up while rotating the palms so they are facing you at the top of the lift.
- The biceps and forearms are controlling the movement.
- AVOID shrugging your shoulders.
- After a brief pause, lower to the starting position.
- The eccentric portion is just as important as the concentric with arm development.
- Don't "drop" the weight from the top.
- Refrain from “swinging” the weight or leaning backwards.
- The muscle used first will be used the most. Initiate the movement with your bicep and forearm, not your lower half or shoulder.