Dumbbell Bulgarian Squat
|Secondary Muscle(s)||Glutes, Hamstrings, Abdominals, Abductors, Adductors|
Dumbbell Bulgarian Squat Instructions
- Have a flat bench position behind you.
- Be in a strong athletic position: knees flexed, core and glutes activated, chest up, and shoulders back.
- Have a DB in each hand.
- Prop your right foot on top of the bench.
- Have the top of your foot against the padding, not your toes.
- Position the opposite foot ahead with your head behind your knee
- You should feel the hip flexor of the back leg being stretched.
- Your core is still braced and engaged. AVOID letting your low back arch.
- Lower your back knee to the floor while maintaining your postural integrity.
- Don't let your knee track forward excessively.
- Your upper body can hinge forward slightly.
- Don't slam your knee on the floor. Either lightly tap it or stop just before touching the ground.
- The bottom position should feature the back knee positioned behind your hip.
- At the bottom position, stand back up.
- Having a DB in each hand helps with counter-balance and maintaining position.
- Practice this movement with just your bodyweight. It will take time to groove this exercise.
- Ideally, you want your front shin vertical.