Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Bench Press Instruction
- Firmly plant your heels into the ground with your shins roughly perpendicular to the floor.
- Focus on pinching your shoulder blades (scapulas) together as you lie back on the bench.
- This creates a stable shoulder position to press from.
- Grip the barbell slightly wider than shoulder width
- Try to ‘break the bar’ in half as you grip it, this will create lat and upper back tightness.
- Lower the barbell at a slight angle away from you with the bar touching at or just below your nipple line.
- Still continue to ‘break the bar’ apart as you press up, this will keep your form locked in.
- Since the bar descent was slightly away from you, remember to press on the same path upward.
- Do not let your butt come off of the bench or excessively arch your back.
- If new to this exercise or dealing with heavier weight even, have someone spot you.
- Be in control of the weight for the entire duration of the lift.
- DO NOT BOUNCE THE BAR OFF OF YOUR CHEST/STERNUM.
- Too wide of a grip puts an excessive strain on your pectorals while also decreasing lat tightness.
- Too narrow a grip can place excess stress on the elbow joint and bicep