Dumbbell Shrugs Instruction
- Position your feet in an athletic stance slightly outside shoulder-width.
- Your knees are slightly bent and toes pointed straight ahead.
- The core is braced and engaged. Shoulders are pinned back and eyes fixed straight ahead.
- Grab a set of dumbbells, one in each hand at your sides, hands in a neutral position.
- With passive arms, lift (shrug) your shoulders straight up, think about bringing your traps to your ears.
- Pause to hold the contraction.
- DB's remain at your sides, don't let them drift in front of you. Maintain that initial, neutral hand position.
- Lower the DB's to the starting position.
- Focus on the isolation of the traps.
- Refrain from using your arms to pull the DB's up. The arms are merely a lever for your traps.
- Don't use momentum or excess movement to elevate the DB's.