|Secondary Muscle(s)||Glutes, Hamstrings, Abductors, Adductors|
Barbell Lunge Instructions
- Be in a strong athletic position: knees flexed, core and glutes activated, chest up, and shoulders back.
- Get underneath the bar, placing it on your traps.
- Have your hands outside shoulder-width in a position where you can create torque in your shoulders. The equates to a strong upper back position.
- The bar does not sit loosely on your back.
- You want a strong, vertical torso.
- Chest up and eyes fixed straight ahead.
- Step forward, your foot just outside shoulder-width, while simultaneously dropping your back knee to the floor.
- Don't let your low back arch/overextend.
- Your torso can hinge forward slightly.
- The bottom position should feature the back knee behind your hip.
- Push your front leg back and return to the starting position.
- Keep this exercise light. Increase intensity by adding reps/volume.
- Avoid slamming your back knee on the floor when you get tired.
- Don't let your body fall forward or let excess weight be put on the balls of your feet.
- Avoid 'rolling' or 'rocking' into the movement. Be strict with the execution.