Sumo Deadlift with Bands (Banded Sumo Pull)
|Secondary Muscle(s)||Adductors, Forearms, Glutes, Lower Back, Middle Back, Quads, Traps|
Sumo Deadlift with Bands Instructions
- Load the appropriate amount of weight to the barbell.
- Loop two short bands around the ends of the barbell before you get into starting position, and place a foot firmly over each, with the band being under the heels of your feet.
- Come towards the bar with a very wide stance in the feet with the bar crossing over about mid-foot.
- Begin by bending at the hips to grab the bar with your arms inside of your legs and below the shoulders, using the preferred grip.
- Inhale and bring your hips down while looking ahead with your chest up. You will then exhale while pulling the bar up via heel drive and extension of the hips and knees.
- As soon as the bar reaches knee level, you want to simultaneously retract your shoulder blades and drive your hips forward towards the bar to lock out as you finish the pull. Exhale as you lock out.
- After you’ve locked out the lift, send the weight back to the ground slowly in a controlled motion by leaning at the hips.
Sumo Deadlift with Bands Tips
- Refrain from rounding your back during the pull; You want to keep a straight back for the duration of the life, making sure to pin your shoulders back at the top of the movement.
- Focus on utilizing the hamstrings and glutes when pulling the weight up.