Barbell Hip Thrust (Weighted Hip Extension)
Barbell Hip Thrust Instructions
- Sit on the ground with a flat bench behind you.
- Feet positioned roughly shoulder-width.
- A loaded barbell is positioned over your legs. Use a bar pad or towels to lessen the discomfort of the exercise.
- Roll the bar up until it is exactly above your hips and lean your upper back & shoulders against the flat bench.
- There should now be a couple of inches between your glutes and the floor.
- Rest your hands on the barbell.
- Initiate the exercise by extending your hips (raising your glutes) up through the bar.
- You are driving through your feet through the floor.
- Actively contracting your glutes
- Don't overextend your low back. Focus on the contraction of the glutes versus how high you raise the barbell.
- There is not a large range-of-motion.
- The top position should be your knees, hips, and shoulders roughly parallel to the floor.
- Lower slowly to the starting position.
- Warm-up with bodyweight only. Make sure you can feel the glute activation before progressing to the barbell.
- Changing your foot placement will alter the stimulus in your glutes.
- Aim for volume on this exercise, not heavy singles, doubles, or triples.